Located in Santa Cruz, California, the Dominican Hospital counts with a numerous staff that includes about 400 physicians. The hospital has been active since September 1941, as a response to a request by the Monterey Bay area diocese of the Catholic Church. The Adrian Dominican Sisters started operating with an 18-bed center formerly known as Sisters Hospital. After ten years have past, the sisters where able to purchase Santa Cruz Hospital in Soquel Avenue near downtown. The sisters operated the two hospitals simultaneously in order to satisfy the needs of the growing population.
A 17-acre site in the outskirts of the city was acquired in order to afford future growth. Becoming a member of Catholic Healthcare West in 1988, Dominican Hospital continuously grew reaching the potential of 379 acute care beds. Even though they are not longer easy to recognize (since they no longer wear their traditional habit and gown) the Adrian Dominican Sisters still hold several positions in the Dominican organization.
In order to improve the health and well-being of the community, Dominican Hospital offers a diversity of programs and services. Cardiology, being available since 1989, includes procedures like angioplasty and atherectomy and stent placement and has specialized nursing programs. The Cancer Care program features the latest in diagnostic imaging and talented medical and radiation oncologists. For surgical services the hospital counts with surgeons in every specialty and with operating rooms fully outfitted with state of the art equipment. Dominican Hospital features a wide array of Community Programs that include the Dominican Hospital Prenatal Services Program, KidSmart in Schools and the Dominican Pediatrics Sub-Specialty Clinic. It also features support groups like Breastfeeding Support, Cancer Support and Stroke Support.